Carson City Firefighters were called to the scene of a large trash dumpster fire late Sunday afternoon. A woman called the fire department and said that flames were rising very high, endangering a phone and powerline pole with hot flames and thick smoke.
Firefighters pulled up and immediately began fighting the blaze that was perilously close to parked cars and just a fence away from Fairview Drive.
Firefighters were able to knock the fire down in less than 15 minutes. But then came the task of dragging out still burning and smoking trash from inside the dumpster. Firefighters soaked it down.
As for a cause investigators say the fire burned so hot in a confined space that the precise spot where the fire erupted may be hard to determine. But suffice it to say the fire did erupt – one neighbor telling The Carson City Journal that even someone flinging a lit cigarette into the overflow pile of trash, pushed by a stiff afternoon breeze, might have been the cause.
Fortunately no one was injured. Firefighters say that flicking or flinging lit or glowing materials into a dumpster is always dangerous. In this case there was a phone and power pole very close to the dumpster which could have damaged the power pole, electrical, cable TV and other systems that use power poles.