Carson City School District has about “had it” with drivers breaking laws in school zones and bus drop off points….
Administrators and teachers in Carson City are fed up with careless, if not mindless drivers who blow through school zones doing 30 mph (or more), failing to stop for school buses that are collecting and dropping off students throughout the community and generally showing little regard for childrens’ safety.
School officials have had some conversations with Sheriff Ken Furlong and he says his deputies will apply a hyper-focused effort to target drivers making poor decisions and those who are distracted.
Sheriff Furlong said there has been an outcry across the community about the conduct of both drivers and pedestrians. Much of the problem is adults and students not paying attention… drivers and pedestrians are on their phones, snacking, not obeying lights and signs.
Consequently Sheriff Furlong and the school district have offered the following safety tips for drivers:
* Slow down. Speed is the No. 1 contributor in most accidents.
* Stay alert and free of all distractions. Put all cell phones away and refrain from eating, drinking or adjusting the radio.
* Make visual eye-contact with pedestrians. Be prepared to stop at all marked crosswalks. Wave them across if you are stopped at a marked crosswalk.
* Make sure your windshields is clean, clear and unobstructed. Turn on your headlights.
* Yield to pedestrians in crosswalks and at intersections. Be courteous to other drivers.
* Be aware of bicyclists and skateboarders whose approaches to crosswalks may be much swifter than those of pedestrians.
* Come to a complete stop providing adequate distance if pedestrians are crossing or preparing to cross.
* Never EVER pass another vehicle that has stopped or is slowing down at a crosswalk.
* Do not perform a U-turn within school zones.
PENALTIES FOR COMMON SCHOOL-RELATED TRAFFIC VIOLATIONS
* Performing a U-turn in a school zone: $115 and 3 demerits.
* Using a cell phone while driving in a school zone or anywhere else minimum $115 fine.
* Speeding in in excess of 10 miles-per-hour over the limit in marked school zones – minimum $115 fine and as many as 2 demerit points.
* Passing a school bus while the lights are flashing and stopping arm is extended: $250 first offense, $500 second offense and a $1,000 fine with possible loss of your drivers license for six months along with driving demerits.
* Loading or unloading your children in a traffic lane also carries an expensive fine.
Being late is absolutely not an excuse for violating the safety of the public, especially school children. And who wants an injury or death of a child on their conscience for the rest of their lives.