Democratic candidate for President Pete Buttigieg told a crowd of supporters at Western Nevada College Monday that the last 3-and-a-half years have divided the USA nearly down the middle. He said the Trump administration is unlike any in the history of this nation. Protocols, procedures, laws, policies, you name it, they’ve man-handled says Buttigieg. It’s time to quit fighting among ourselves and get America back on track which includes:
* Decent work for decent pay – $15/hour minimum wage.
* Free college for 80% of our students and young adults and those changing careers.
* Build truly affordable housing.
* Rebuild our crumbling highways, freeways and bridges along with up-scale internet-digital connections.
* Quit using climate-changing fossil fuels by empowering solar, wind, geothermal, wave energy, hydro and other renewables.
* A bold re-investment in K-12 public schools, including much higher pay for teachers, including forgiving their own student debt.
* Reasonable tax increases on America’s super-wealthy who control a huge part of our country’s economy and personal wealth.
* Reversing the slow erosion of union labor. The country must pay their workers enough to live on, invest and retire comfortably. Unions must make a come-back.
* And finally, immigrants coming to America should be treated better. Buttigieg said “America has been partially built with the blood and sweat of immigrants. We must honor their labor and welcome their commitment to improving the American economy. They too need to further their education and labor skills.
Again, Buttigieg emphasized his message of inclusion – one country of many persuasions and backgrounds working toward better lives for ALL Americans. It’s a common statement among the candidates. The proof is in the political pudding they make.