The Carson City Sheriffs Office will be joining forces with other law enforcement agencies statewide focusing on pedestrian safety through March 15th.
Crosswalks can be confusing but pedestrians do share the responsibility with drivers when crossing at crosswalks. As a pedestrian you can’t just jump out in front of traffic because you’re in a crosswalk. Pedestrians are required to use caution as well as drivers.
* Walk facing traffic
* Don’t walk on the highway
* Don’t suddenly walk across the crosswalk expecting vehicles to stop
* As a pedestrian, at times, you will have the right of way; however, you will be on the losing end of a collision with any vehicle.
* Crosswalks can be both marked and unmarked
* Don’t pass other cars stopped at a crosswalk
* At marked and unmarked crosswalks, drivers must yield the right-of-way to pedestrians that are in the crosswalk when the pedestrian is walking on the same half of the roadway as the motorist.
* Both, pedestrians and drivers are required to exercise caution while walking and driving.
* Please walk and drive safely