Tuesday afternoon firefighters were called to a two story home at 2908 Gillis Way, off Sonoma. Firefighters arrived to see smoke coming out of an air outlet to the outside, signaling the fire was intensifying and spreading.
Firefighters raced upstairs and attacked the fire. Fortunately they got the upper hand very quickly, thereby saving the house. The family had evacuated to a neighbors yard. No injuries.
Cause of the fire was attributable to failing electrical wiring in the upstairs bedroom. It’s also a reminder that as houses age so does the wiring. It’s vital that homeowners purchase a handbook on common structural problems that emerge when a home is no longer a new home.
Ground settling and natural home adjustments due to a weakening or faultering foundation, fierce wind storms (especially for two and three story homes), water infiltration, humidity build ups in confined spaces, wire insulation decay, and on and on.
Homes are not like clocks that you wind up and then forget them. Homes are complex machines with slow but relentless decay in many forms that must be monitored so a small problem doesn’t become a huge expense. We’re fortunate that we don’t have to pay the fire department for saving our homes. But a little thank-you is usually in order