Carson Farmers Market Rules and Procedures for COVID-19 2020
Faced with the COVID 19 Pandemic, we remain committed to creating and maintaining the highest quality venue while incorporating a win-win-win philosophy for the growers, vendors and our faithful public. Traditionally, Farmers’ Markets are places of social gathering and community. Markets are also where we find fresh produce, local meats, tasty food, handcrafted items, gourmet foods, and unique home businesses. But the current COVID requirement for social distancing challenges the traditional Farmers’ Market model. In fact, we now find ourselves 180 degrees from that norm. Given this circumstance, the management and vendors must do all we can to make the best of the situation. If there is a silver lining, it is twofold: First, Farmers’ Markets are considered essential; and second, the timing of this disruption is prior to the height of Nevada’s Market season.
Nevertheless, the following guidelines will be in place immediately and include social distancing, restricted food handling, and restricted monetary handling.
The Carson Farmers Market General Guidelines
- Required: Additional space between vendor booths, 10 feet wherever possible, and reconfigured for easier access and departure and where customers can spread out 6ft.
- Required: Handwashing stations or hand sanitizer stands for customers where possible
- Eliminated: All entertainment, promotions, seating areas, or anything else that encourages customers to linger
- Eliminated: Drinking stations
- Eliminated: All sampling
- Eliminated: Onsite food preparation
- Eliminated: All artisan vendors (arts, crafts, non-food vendors)
Carson Farmers Market Specific Guidelines
Measures to be taken by Vendors:
To help keep everyone safe at our farmers market and support social distancing, we have enacted the following changes:
- Vendors and employees who deal directly with the public must wear facemasks, pursuant to the State of Nevada requirements for businesses in Phase I Guidance
- Posted signs with safety guidelines
- Frequently perform enhanced environmental cleaning of commonly touched surfaces, wipe down payment terminals and areas where customers touch between each customer.
- Vendors may not touch reusable bags belonging to customers
- Ensure the tables in vendors’ booths are set up to prevent customers from crowding in vendor booths with 6ft distancing
- Strongly encourage grab-and-go, pre-packaged produce
- Require handwashing stations or hand sanitizer and gloves for their staff. Must wash their hands several times throughout the day and replace gloves often. Make sure to wash your hands before putting a new pair of gloves on
- No cloth tablecloths allowed, only tablecloths that can be wiped down or no tablecloths at all
- Unpackaged food and cash/scrip /card may not be handled by the same person. We are requesting, if possible, a minimum of two people in the booth to maintain 6ft from one another. One handling cash/scrip/card and one handling produce. If you only have one vendor, you must use one hand for the product and one hand for card/cash/scrip. No cross-contamination
- Market staff/volunteers will actively encourage social distancing and ask customers to leave the Farmers’ Market if met with refusal
Measures to be taken by Customers:
Practicing social distancing requires everyone’s participation to be effective. We need your help to create a social distancing friendly environment and are asking you to follow these guidelines when you visit our modified market:
- If you are sick, stay home and ask a friend or family member to pick things up for you instead
- Wash your hands with soap and water before coming to the market
- We highly recommend everyone to wear masks
- Read all Market signs and vendor signs
- Maintain 6 feet of space from other shoppers and allow others their space when shopping
- If you need to sneeze or cough, sneeze or cough into a tissue or into the crease of your elbow
- Shop quickly to limit crowding
- No sampling of products
- Buy pre-bagged items whenever you can – some farmers are preparing them ahead for you
- Your reusable bags will not be allowed to be handled by vendors; you will have to place your product in your own bag
- Minimize the size of your group when shopping and keep your group together – this is especially important when shopping with young children
- Wait outside the booth until it is free of other shoppers, then take your turn
- You will not be able to spend time socializing or linger at the farmers’ market and will be asked to leave if you do so
- Do not touch anything for sale before you buy it. The farmer/vendor will pick out what you want and bag it for you
- If possible, use touchless payment (pay without touching money, a card, or a keypad). If you must handle money, a card, or use a keypad, use hand sanitizer right after paying.
- Thank your farmer.
Everyone to Remember:
- Wash your hands thoroughly and often for at least 20 seconds
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth
- Make sure to wash your reusable bags before coming to the market
- Wash all produce thoroughly before using it
- We also want to emphasize that pets are not allowed at our farmers market – only service animals.