Carson City Firefighters (with their new looooong ladder truck) pulled up outside a house on Sandstone to see smoke coming out of it. Nobody was home but there was a dog in the house – that had something to do with it.
As it turned out, the family was away on an errand leaving their dog alone in the home. The dog went into the kitchen where it smelled something good – fragrant dog treats in a box on top of the stove.
With nobody home their dog started jumping up, repeatedly trying to get at the dog treats. But, in so doing, the dog’s paws accidentally hit a burner control knob and that activated a burner that the dog treats were sitting on. The box burst into flame and smoke began filling the house.
A neighbor saw the smoke and called Carson City Firefighters who were on scene quickly. They entered the home and doused the fire, saving the house.
Lesson Learned – Never leave anything on the stove burner(s) if you’re leaving your home, especially if you have a treat-seeking pooch. By the way, the dog was not injured – but it was possibly admonished.