Suspected thief stealing merchandise according to CCSO
Carson City Sheriff’s Detectives are trying to track down this individual who is accused of burglarizing and stealing valuable equipment from Harbor Freight in north Carson City.
Store employees said Sunday afternoon a male suspect made off with two Predator generators from Harbor Freight at 2749 North Carson Street. Deputies say a witness followed the suspect and photographed him. Harbor Freight employees also told detectives that it appeared to be the same suspect from prior thefts of generators and welders from the store.
Anyone with information or questions is encouraged to contact the Carson City Sheriff’s Dispatch Center at (775) 887-2677, Investigation Division, Detective Sam Hatley (775) 283-7852, Investigations Sgt. Craig Lowe (775) 283-7815 or Secret Witness (775) 322-4900. Refer to Case No. 2021-640.
6:35 pm – Traffic collision at 1443 South Carson Street. No word on injuries. Sheriff’s Deputies enroute.
Carson City and Sparks Home Depot and Lowe’s stores were reportedly burglarized by 47 year old Brent Akers of Sparks. Police say Akers would enter a store and put large boxes of merchandise in his shopping cart and then head for the check-out line. Akers had earlier opened the boxes and stuffed very expensive merchandise inside them hoping the cashier wouldn’t notice them.
On one occasion in Carson City at a Home Depot an alert cashier looked deep inside one of the merchandise boxes and discovered expensive tools and electronic devices At that point Akers immediately left the scene, got into his pickup and headed for home in Sparks.
It’s not well known how many burglary attempts Akers made in the Reno-Carson City area but when police said he struck again at a Lowe’s store in Sparks he got caught – again. He was followed home by law enforcement, stopped and arrested. Akers was charged with Commercial Burglary and Attempted Grand Larceny and found himself in custody of Sparks Police.
Quad-County COVID-19 Update: 4 Deaths, 27 New Cases, and 106 Recoveries
Carson City Health and Human Services (CCHHS) is reporting 4 additional deaths due to COVID-19 in the Quad-County Region. The individuals were:
- A male Carson City resident in his 70’s
- A male Carson City resident in his 60’s
- A male Carson City resident in his 50’s
- A male Lyon County resident in his 90’s
CCHHS is also reporting 27 new cases and 106 additional recoveries of COVID-19 in the Quad-County Region. This brings the total number of cases to 10,723, with 6,761 recoveries and 188 deaths; 3,774 cases remain active.
*Population information taken from the Nevada Health Response Dashboard found at https://nvhealthresponse.nv.gov/
View the Quad-County COVID-19 dashboard at https://gethealthycarsoncity.org/novel-coronavirus-2019/ .
CCHHS COVID-19 Vaccinations
Vaccine statistics are updated weekly on Tuesday. These are the doses received and administered by CCHHS ONLY. This does not include other vaccinations by other entities in the Quad-County Region. As of January 25th, 2021
- Doses received: 7,175
- Doses administered: 7,041
Drive-Thru COVID-19 Testing for Quad-County Residents
Testing is for Quad-County (Carson City, Douglas, Lyon, and Storey County) residents ONLY, all others will be turned away. Events may be canceled 48 hours in advance if inclement weather is expected. Testing is free of charge, no appointments or reservations. To view all upcoming February events visit https://gethealthycarsoncity.org/events/.
||8 a.m. to 10 a.m.
||Douglas County Community Center
1329 Waterloo Ln, Gardnerville
||1 p.m. to 3 p.m.
||Fernley City Hall
595 Silver Lace Blvd, Fernley
For those who are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19 or have questions, call the Quad-County COVID-19 Hotline Monday through Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm. Spanish speakers are available. The phone number is (775) 434-1988.
Attorney General Ford Announces Sentencing of Reno Man for Child Abuse/Endangering and Neglect
Carson City, NV – Nevada Attorney General Aaron D. Ford announced that Cisco Lamont Neal, 37, of Reno, was sentenced to up to five years in prison for inducing a minor child to engage in prostitution. As a result of this sexual exploitation, the child endured physical and mental suffering. The crimes were committed between August and September, 2019.
Second Judicial District Court Judge Kathleen Drakulich sentenced Neal to 24 to 60 months in the Nevada Department of Corrections for the crime of child, abuse, neglect or endangerment, a category “B” felony, and 24-60 months for the crime of Attempt Sex Trafficking, a category “C” felony. Both counts will run concurrent to each other. Additionally, upon Neal’s release from prison, he will have to register as a sex offender.
“January is human trafficking month and there’s no better time to remind Nevadans victimized by human trafficking that my office is here to help,” said AG Ford. “This success in the courtroom should also remind those seeking to entrap members of our community that your crimes have not gone unnoticed and will be prosecuted.”
To report instances of human trafficking, call the National Human Trafficking Resource Center Hotline at 1-888-373-7888. The National Human Trafficking Resource Center is a national, toll-free hotline available to answer calls from anywhere in the country 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Individuals may also call the U.S. Department of Justice Hotline at 1-888-428-7581 or call the local authorities. For more information on human trafficking, the warning signs, and how you can help fight this epidemic, visit the Office of the Nevada Attorney General’s website here.
The investigation of this case was conducted by the FBI Northern Nevada Child Exploitation and Human Trafficking Task Force. The Attorney General’s Criminal Prosecution Division prosecuted this case.