Final primary election tallies show that local businesswoman Lori Bagwell will rise from her position of city supervisor to the Mayor’s seat on the Carson City Board of Supervisors. She barely won the position outright and will not have to run for the mayor’s position in the November General Election. Same for Supervisor Ward 4 position, Lisa Schuette, who won by a large margin.
The race for Board of Supervisors Ward 2 will appear on the November ballot between two candidates that did not achieve a majority of voters – candidates Maurice White who garnered 35% of the primary vote and Stacie Wilke-McCullough who tallied 31%. Both will face off in the November Election.
Several spot fires burning at south end of Lompa Ranch off 5th Street
Carson City Firefighters had to drive through a section of Lompa Ranch, south of 5th street, just to get near several spot fires. A Brush rig drove through the muck and mud to get to the small blazes which were burning in tall weeds – or at least what looked like tall weeds through long-range binoculars. No cause yet released. Probably be released sometime Thursday.
Dayton Depot going up in flames. Fire likely caused by an arsonist. Photo: Lyon County Public Facilities
Fire totally consumed the old passenger/freight depot.
Intense heat ignited a rail box car just behind the depot building.
Restoration of the depot was well underway. Arson or accidental exposure to flame were mentioned at the scene. Fire Department officials say the cause is being investigated.
Dayton Depot building as existed prior to the fire. A huge loss for the Dayton Community.
Kurt Selzer, 63
Update: A suspect in the destruction of the Carson and Colorado Railroad Depot in Dayton is behind bars in the Lyon County Jail on charges of Arson. Kurt Selzer, 63 of Ventura, California was spotted by neighbors after he had allegedly set several wildland fires in the Dayton area. He was finally apprehended in Dayton State Park in possession of a lighter and a container of a very flammable liquid. Neighbors report that Selzer admitted to them that he set the fires. Selzer was transported to the Lyon Jail where he is being held on $10,000 bail.
The town of Dayton is mourning the loss of one of it’s prized historical legacy buildings – the Carson and Colorado Railroad Depot that had been moved from its original spot to its new location at Main and Lincoln Highway. A fire broke out at the Depot Wednesday afternoon and burned like a torch, as all old buildings burn, which destroyed every element of the Depot.
The Carson and Colorado Railroad Depot Committee appeared to be in somewhat of a state shock as they looked over the incinerated debris pile that had been in the process of being fully restored as the historical treasure it was envisioned to become. Committee members said that just before the fire, an elderly man was seen inside the very publicly accessible “museum to be.” A short while later it was going up in flame. The fire leveled the building and torched a railroad box car just to the north.
The destruction was doubly tragic since so much care and energy went in to moving the venerable old building slightly north of its original location and that state and federal government grants had been approved to make the Depot a legendary point of pride for Dayton and the region. A sizeable quantity of brand new building materials now lay inert never to bring the old Depot back into its heyday and for generations to come.
As a side note, the hugely hot fire sent sparks up into the afternoon winds which ignited a number of trees. But between fast acting residents and firefighters, no structures were damaged. A bit to the southwest corner of Dayton there were reports of some structures caught fire from an unidentified source. A roof of a home was said to be slightly damaged.
Gov. Steve Sisolak
Wielding a swift and sharp budget cutting knife…into next year.
Gov. Steve Sisolak has notified state employees of proposed plans to trim the upcoming 2020-21 fiscal years. Sisolak says the state is looking at a looming $1.3 Billion dollar shortfall out of a $4.5 Billion dollar projected budget for 2020-21. The Governor continued, “The projected shortfall may shift as we continue to receive and analyze new economic data, but I have the responsibility for developing the proposals to address the Fiscal Year 2021 shortfall based on what we know today.”
Sisolak said he and his staff have worked diligently with agencies to reduce the number of anticipated layoffs from more than 450 to less than 50 expected “at this time.” The proposed plan also include one furlough day a month for all state employees beginning in July, and a freeze on merit salary increases for Fiscal Year 2021. No additional changes to health insurance or retirement benefits for State employees are proposed at this time for Fiscal Year 2021 beyond those approved by the Public Employees’ Benefits Board earlier.
As it stands, without significant federal funding to assist with the state’s revenue shortfall, Nevada will not be able to avoid severe reductions in general fund support for agencies and services that represent the majority of general fund expenditures, including health and human services, K-12 and higher education and public safety.
State employees were notified by Governor Sisolak of his plans:
To all Nevada State Employees,
As your Governor, I’d like to take a moment to write to you directly, to thank you for the tremendous work you’ve done helping Nevadans during the COVID-19 pandemic, and to share with you with some of the realities of our current budget situation.
None of us could have predicted a pandemic of this magnitude and the global economic crisis that has followed. As a State, we have done tremendous work to flatten the curve and to preserve the health, safety and lives of our fellow Nevadans. Every day, I am overwhelmed with respect and gratitude for the thousands of professionals employed by the State who quickly adapted and adjusted to a new style of work and have continued providing services around the clock. All of this exceptional work has not gone unnoticed.
As you aware, prior to the pandemic, the State had begun the momentous task of formulating ways to implement a child, family and community-centered Nevada government. The economic crisis caused by the COVID-19 pandemic has forced us to take a different direction with our state budget to respond to this new economic reality. Believe me, I wish we weren’t faced with this difficult situation, and I wish I didn’t have to write this letter.It’s important that you receive this message from me directly, as your Governor. I wanted you to hear from me the proposed budget reductions for Fiscal Year 2021 that impact you most directly. Preliminary estimates indicate approximately a $900 million General Fund shortfall, when combined with the Distributive School Account, the revenue shortfall increases to $1.3 billion in Fiscal Year 2021. The estimated revenue shortfall represents a significant percentage of the state’s overall $4.5 billion operating appropriations for the fiscal year.
The projected shortfall may change as we continue to receive and analyze new economic data, but I have the responsibility for developing the proposals to address the Fiscal Year 2021 shortfall based on what we know today. I want to thank all of the cabinet members for working closely with the Governor’s Finance Office to identify the necessary reductions in a manner that limits to the maximum extent possible the impact on critical functions, including health, safety and education throughout the state and puts us on a path toward both a physical and economic recovery. These areas and so many others are all impacted in ways that none of us would advocate for under normal circumstances, but I appreciate the continuing hard work on fiscally responsible proposals to end the year with a balanced budget.
For state employees, I’ve asked my team and state agencies to build the proposals with the goal of limiting the number of possible layoffs in the state, to the maximum extent possible. You, our state employees are what make this state run day in and day out. You are the ones that provide critical services to Nevadans. State agencies will be keeping hundreds of positions vacant in Fiscal Year 2021 to preserve existing positions and employees. We have worked diligently to reduce the number of anticipated layoffs from more than 450 to less than 50 expected at this time. Employees who may be impacted will be notified by Department of Administration, State Human Resource Management.
I am also proposing one furlough day a month for all state employees beginning in July, and a freeze on merit salary increases for Fiscal Year 2021.
I am not proposing any changes to your health insurance or retirement benefits.
As your Governor, I will continue to work with our congressional delegation to strongly advocate for financial relief from the federal government to states to preserve vital services and protect our states’ economies and workforce. As Nevadans and with your hard work and partnership, we will reinvent, reinvest and reenergize our State for future success.
Governor Steve Sisolak
Quad-County COVID-19 Update: Two New Cases
(Carson City, NV)- Carson City Health and Human Services (CCHHS) is reporting two new positive cases and no additional recoveries of COVID-19 in the Quad-County region. This brings the total number of cases to 246, with 178 recoveries and seven deaths, 61 cases remain active.
The new cases are:
- A female Lyon County resident in her 40’s with connection to a previously reported case.
- A female Lyon County resident under the age of 18 with connection to a previously reported case.
Carson City Health and Human Services is working to identify close risk contacts to prevent further spread of the disease. Due to medical privacy requirements and to protect their identity, no further information about the cases will be released.
Gender and age break down of the cases by county as well as the cases by zip code is available at https://gethealthycarsoncity.org/novel-coronavirus-2019/. Statewide numbers can be found at the Nevada Health Response website (nvhealthresponse.nv.gov/).
For those who are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19 or have questions, call the Quad-County COVID-19 Hotline Monday through Saturday, 8 am to 5 pm. Spanish speakers are available. The phone number is (775) 283-4789.
Stay informed. For updates and more information on COVID-19 visit https://gethealthycarsoncity.org/novel-coronavirus-2019/.
NV Attorney General
Attorney General Ford Joins Coalition Filing Third Complaint in Ongoing Investigation Into Generic Drug Industry
States allege broad, industry-wide conspiracy to restrain competition and raise prices on at least 83 generic topical dermatological drugs
Carson City, NV – Today, Nevada Attorney General Aaron D. Ford and 51 other attorneys general filed a complaint against 26 corporate defendants and 10 individual defendants in a third lawsuit stemming from their ongoing antitrust investigation into a widespread conspiracy in the generic drug industry. The complaint alleges longstanding agreements among manufacturers so that each competitor gets a “fair share” of the market, and to prevent “price erosion” of the drugs due to competition.
This new complaint, filed in the U.S. District Court for the District of Connecticut, focuses on 83 topical generic drugs that include creams, gels, lotions, ointments, shampoos and solutions used to treat a variety of skin conditions, pain and allergies. These drugs account for billions of dollars of sales in the United States.
Among the defendants are Taro Pharmaceuticals USA, Perrigo New York, Inc. and Fougera Pharmaceuticals USA (which is now defendant Sandoz, Inc.). Between 2007 and 2014, Taro, Perrigo, and Fougera sold nearly two-thirds of all generic topical products dispensed in the United States. The lawsuit seeks damages, civil penalties and actions by the court to restore competition to the generic drug market.
“Generic drugs play a critical role in our health care industry, and many Nevadans, especially our seniors, struggle with the skyrocketing cost of prescriptions,” said AG Ford. “Lower and more affordable drug prices require genuine competition in the marketplace, and my office is holding companies trying to disrupt this competition accountable. Through a unified and targeted action, my Bureau of Consumer Protection is pursuing these companies for the consequences their actions have had on all Americans and our health care system.”
The complaint is based on direct evidence of unlawful agreements to minimize competition and raise prices on dozens of topical products. The States have evidence from several cooperating witnesses at the core of the conspiracy, a massive document database of over 20 million documents, and a phone records database containing millions of call detail records and contact information for over 600 sales and pricing individuals in the generic drug industry. Among the records obtained by the States is a two-volume notebook containing the contemporaneous notes of one of the cooperating witnesses that memorialized his discussions during phone calls with competitors and internal company meetings over a period of several years.
This new complaint is the third to be filed in an ongoing, expanding investigation that the Connecticut Office of the Attorney General has referred to as possibly the largest domestic corporate cartel case in the history of the United States. The first complaint, still pending in the U.S. District Court in the Eastern District of Pennsylvania, was filed in 2016 and now includes 18 corporate Defendants, two individual Defendants, and 15 generic drugs. Two former executives from Heritage Pharmaceuticals, Jeffery Glazer and Jason Malek, have entered into settlement agreements and are cooperating with the Attorneys General working group in that case. The second complaint, also pending in the U.S. District Court in the Eastern District of Pennsylvania, was filed in 2019 against Teva Pharmaceuticals and 19 of the nation’s largest generic drug manufacturers. The complaint names 16 individual senior executive Defendants. The States are currently preparing for trial on that Complaint.
In addition to Nevada, attorneys general from the following states are participating in complaint: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Territory of Guam, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Northern Mariana Islands, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Utah, U.S. Virgin Islands, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia and Wisconsin in filing the complaint.
U.S. Army Veteran Jerry Pryor
Local Veterans Receive “Porch Drop” Quilts
The Oregon Coastal Quilters Guild (OCQG) has initiated “porch drops” in order to continue its Veterans Quilt Project during the Covid-19 restrictions. Recently, 15 local veterans received deliveries to their individual residences.
Recipients were Thomas McDowell, US Navy; Michael Newhall, US Air Force; Chuck Holbert, US Army; Kenneth Ritchie, US Army; Randy Becker, US Army; James Rolfe, US Marine Corps; Larry Holt, US Air Force; Dr Wallace High, US Navy; Howard McIntyre, US Navy; Ron Trevillian, US Army; Joe Rictor, US Army; Steven “Blue” Maurer, US Navy; Jim Christensen, US Navy; Anthony Pryor, US Army, and Jerry Pryor; US Army.
Rather than formal presentations, the individual deliveries were begun out of concern for the health of recipients, guild members, and guests and in accordance with directives from the State of Oregon, DHS, and the City of Newport. Before the pandemic, veterans have been honored with presentations at “Quilts by the Sea” (the annual quilt show) as well as at OCQG meetings, the American Legion Hall, the Sea Aire Assisted Living Facility in Yachats, local churches, and various club meetings. Each quilt is one of a kind.
In a thank you letter, recipient Jerry Pryor wrote, “As I look at this beautiful quilt, I’m taken back in time to the many challenges I faced during my nearly two years in Korea. Like most veterans, our military experiences represent a period of time we would rather not revisit. However . . . your gift makes me proud to be a veteran. This quilt is much like wrapping yourself in our nation’s flag.”
Lincoln County veterans who wish to be added to the list of potential recipients may contact Rose Shaw (541-961-2959, firstname.lastname@example.org) or Cheryl Kramer (541-867-6947, KramerLc@charter.net).
The mission of OCQG is to promote fellowship among quilters while promoting knowledge and appreciation of quilts and quilting activities. The almost 200 members of OCQG live throughout Lincoln County and beyond. Additional information about the guild is on their website, www.oregoncoastalquilters.org.
Inmate being tested for Corona Virus Covid-19
The Nevada Department of Corrections (NDOC) has expanded its comprehensive COVID-19 testing initiative to facilities in northern Nevada, while confirming its first northern Nevada case of an offender testing positive for the virus.
“Our top priority is the health of staff and offenders at our facilities,” said Charles Daniels, NDOC Director. “Our preparation and response is deliberate and in accordance with agency contingency plans and protocols. Our goal is mitigating and ultimately preventing the sustained spread of COVID-19.”
To date, NDOC has tested more than 800 staff and 6,700 offenders statewide. These totals grow every day now that testing has begun at facilities in northern Nevada such as Lovelock Correctional Center and Northern Nevada Correctional Center (NNCC). The initiative is a partnership between NDOC, the Nevada Department of Health and Human Services, and the Nevada State Public Health Laboratory that aligns with the State’s goal to increase testing statewide and protect vulnerable populations.
The male offender who tested positive was a transfer from Washoe County Detention Center in Reno to NNCC in Carson City. He entered NNCC’s intake unit on May 27 and was undergoing health, mental, and physical screening. This included a test for COVID-19 as part of NDOC’s testing initiative, which subsequently came back positive.
CC Firefighters drench a brush fire behind Ron Wood Center off Hot Springs Road.
Firefighters soaking the ground to reduce chance of a flare-up.
Sparks were flying out from a metal-cutting saw – ignited grass/brush right below.
Giving the ground a good soaking so they don’t have to worry about a re-kindle.
Firefighters say workers inside an industrial building off Hot Springs Road caused a small brush fire outside their building Friday morning. The fire was caused by workers inside the building cutting a hole in a steel wall in order to install a window. Unfortunately, sparks shot out from the cuts and rained down on tinder dry grass below, igniting a sizeable blaze.
Arriving firefighters quickly started spraying water mixed with foam and had the blaze knocked down quickly. They continued to soak the ground and remaining vegetation to help ensure the fire is out – dead out.
Finally! Vaccines on the horizon…
The first experimental COVID-19 vaccine developed in the United States is headed for a trial run next month to prove it can stop the deadly coronavirus in its tracks. Another experimental vaccine, developed in China, is also being tested in Brazil which has been ravaged by the virus. And there is a lot of speculation that these two vaccines are just the first two out-of-the-gate…many others are also being developed.
Here’s the story in The Oregonian. Click here.